The Oscar-winning actor stopped by to meet with the victims in Aurora, Colorado, and made the trip on his own accord according to a representative for Warner Brothers Studio.
“Mr. Bale is there as himself, not representing Warner Brothers,” the rep told the Denver Post.
The star of Christopher Nolan’s trilogy released his condolences on Saturday before making his personal appearences at the hospital.
“Words cannot express the horror that I feel,” he said. “I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them.”
Bale was not the only The Dark Knight Rises actor to publicly express his sorrow about the tragic events last week. Anne Hathaway, who played Catwoman in the film, told E! News that her “heart aches” for the “lives taken and altered by this unfathomably senseless act.”
She continued, ”I am at a loss for words how to express my sorrow. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.”
Authorities are continuing to investigate James Holmes, the 24-year-old shooter accused of killing 12 people and injuring over 50 during the midnight screening in Colorado. Despite the horrific event, audiences have not shied away from seeing the movie.
According to the Associated Press, The Dark Knight Rises earned $160,887,295 during its opening weekend, the biggest 2-D opening ever.